ADVERTISEMENT

Underrated?

DHarris3

Jan 2, 2009
How underrated is Sir'Dominic Pointer's role on St. John's?

On both ends of the floor, he gets so much done that is necessary to the Storm's on-court success without drawing attention to himself... I think fans take him for granted.

Even Coach Lavin talks about how vital Pointer is to the team: "He's been our most productive player over the last three years based on his statistical data. Dom is a cut above everybody in terms of production at both ends of the court. I wouldn't trade him for anyone and I think his future both here at St. John's and beyond is very bright."

Why does it take a near triple-double to get folks to pay attention to how unique and special a player he is and always has been?

You're right! Tonight, of course, D'Angelo Harrison was the main story because he broke St. John's all-time record in 3-pointers with 156. However, coming off the bench, Dom dropped a career-high 16 points on 4-of-7 from the field, which included 1-of-2 from 3, and 7-of-9 from the line. Along with that, he had four assists and three steals. All of that in 25 minutes of floor time. He's improving without a lot of noise and without a lot of people noticing. I mean, we notice, but most are sleeping on him.

This post was edited on 12/22 12:24 AM by DHarris3

Yes another gritty all around effort by our man Sir Dom... He's the kind of player that will get noticed if and hopefully when, we make a run in the tournamement. He reminds a bit of Artest when he was at SJU. Always guarded the other team's best player, was unselfish, rebounded, ran the floor, etc.

He definitely has some qualities of Artest. Like Ron, he has all the secret sauce you have to be born with: heart, hustle and hunger! I remember back when Dom was in high school at Quality Education (N.C.), his energy made him a man among boys! Such a HUGE part of the on-court success of the Johnnies. Great get by Coach Lav! For three seasons, there has been no denying that!

ADVERTISEMENT