ADVERTISEMENT

St. John's legend offered head coaching job

mwingate

Sep 11, 2007
@NYCHoops: Former #SJUBB star Chris Mullin offered vacant St. John's Head Coaching job. Expected to accept. Thoughts?

Mullin is a all time great for sju but I hope he turns it down. I want a proven , young coach who knows what it takes to build a program. They should be in Rhode Island ASAP and not coming back to queens without Danny Hurley. The guy is a absolute stud. Just because Mullen was a great player doesn't mean he's the answer. Zero coaching experience!!!

that's an interesting proposition, but honestly i would rather have mark jackson. he at least is a proven winner as a head coach and at the highest level. and also a johnnies legend in his own right. of course they may have already approached him and he said no.

chris mullin is a legend and absolute icon of st. john's basketball, but i agree with brayde0515...he has no coaching experience at any level. he has management experience but no coaching experience. i think this could backfire as that was lavin's main downfall, not an x's and o's type of coach who routinely got outcoached day in and day out.

any other options right now?

Dan Hurley has the full package; Mark jackson should be the second option here because college coaching experience vs nba experience is unique because recruiting plays a major part, and Mark jackson's ability to recruit may be interesting because he is a big name, but no experience recruiting talent and communicating with families is why I will place him second.

Bottom line is that Dan Hurley is a proven commodity, big name, excellent Coach, and recruiter. This is a no Brainer and I hope we get him.

This post was edited on 3/30 4:21 AM by djhorse85

ADVERTISEMENT