ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting class for next year

turbo95sir

Mar 8, 2005
is going to stand at zero right? just did a quick look at the roster and seems like they have all of their 13 schollies locked up.

G
Greene IV - Jr
Harrison - Jr
Branch - Jr
Hooper - Jr
Balamou - So
Bourgault - Sr

F
Sampson - So
Pointer - Jr
Garrett - Jr
Jones - So
Achiuwa - RS-Sr

C/F
Obekpa - So
Sanchez - Sr

This is assuming that Harrison comes back to the team next year. With the experience the freshman got this year and another year of seasoning for the sophomore crew, it looks to be a good team that is slowly yet surely maturing. I really hope Harrison comes back and matures because they need his leadership and especially his firepower. You could tell that without him down the stretch and into the NIT, they really had no one else. Phil Greene picked up his scoring a bit so hopefully that carries over into next year and you have Harrison, Sampson and Greene as your offensive threats with hopefully heavy offseason development offensively for Obekpa. Gift was an inside presence last year so with him coming back and add Orlando Sanchez, I foresee some good things from this squad next year.

What happened to Gift this year? Did he get hurt? I assumed he had left the team.

Originally posted by JoeP:
What happened to Gift this year? Did he get hurt? I assumed he had left the team.
they redshirted him to save him for next year. i didn't like the move from the getgo, especially since they didn't have any inside presence outside of obepka all year. also with orlando sanchez being held out per ncaa that took its toll on the team this year i thought. no excuses next year though. orlando and gift with another year of practicing and learning the system plus max hooper eligible. oh yeah and the entire team with more chemistry. i really hope harrison gets his act together b/c next year's team, even without any additions looks to be a good one

Supposedly they are still in the mix for Rysheed Jordan, the 5 star point guard. Last I heard he was down to St. John's, Temple, and UCLA. Yes all scholarships are being used currently for next year if Harrison does return but I believe they could make room by using a redshirt or changing Garrett's scholarship since I believe the the Cincinnati Reds are currently paying for his scholarship. I wonder what could be done to accommodate another player, especially of Jordan's caliber...

there's some banter on ESPN boards that gift may be gone. giving up basketball to concentrate on school. not sure if there are any legs to that rumor or how he would even know unless he knows him personally.

Maurice, any insight here?

A source close to the situation confirms that God's Gift is still on board.

Originally posted by mwingate:
A source close to the situation confirms that God's Gift is still on board.
thanks for the update maurice. so back to my OP, but that leaves us with zero schollies for next year with gift still on board. so no way we get jordan then? a premier PG like that would REALLY stabilize this team. not feeling that confident in branch and greene is more of a 2, although he's shown leadership, but more of a slasher scorer than floor general

WOW, I did not see that coming. I think the loss of garrett is WAY bigger than the potential loss of Gift. I can't blame him though since he could be a legit pitcher in the majors. I loved the energy he brought and athleticism. wish him the best.

moving forward though, it does seem to open up a spot. Good thing b/c we're still trying to catch up with all of those seniors who graduated a few years back and the classes are all messed up. need to back to about 2-3 losses/gains a year to even out the classes.

really hope that jordan comes here, that would be HUGE. johnnies also really need some shooters that can do something else too besides stand still and shoot the rock. i haven't seen hooper play but bourgault this year was ineffective if he didn't get his shot going because he's not as athletic as the rest of the team and it showed.

We actually reported the inklings of Garrett leaving to pursue baseball on the premium basketball message board

so now the discussion is that garrett is not only going to pursue professional baseball, but also potentially another basketball program?!? i thought his decision to leave was due to his desire to play baseball and get better at his pitching, not transfer to another school. if this is true, then i am REALLY worried about this program and coach lavin keeping his players. in the 3 years he has been here, he's lost polee his first year, stith & lindsay last year and now garrett? what is going on here?!?!

Garrett never seemed like like his heart was into the Red Storm. It didn't surprise me that he wanted to leave

We need Harrison back or it will be a so so year. We need more guys that can score consistently.

I expect more offense from Obekpa this season. I also think Rysheed is a great addition

ADVERTISEMENT