ADVERTISEMENT

Obekpa

turbo95sir

Mar 8, 2005
great win last night over another ranked BIg East foe! It was nice to get one at MSG after dropping their first two at home. My question though is why did Obepka play so sparingly? Was he hurt? I missed the Georgetown game and there was nothing mentioned about why he played so little. I figured that with Cooley and the other bigs that ND has, Obekpa would be the main cog in the middle.

Offensively they are better with out him, he really, really needs help in that area. Sometimes 4 or 5 blocks a game is not worth 30% from the freethrow line, no post moves, no court vision and inconsistent mid range jumpshot.

I agree that offensively, especially, from the foul line Obekpa is a liability. I wouldn't say he has no court vision. He sees the floor pretty well for a big man. His scope is limited more so because he's in the paint most of the time. He just needs to gain more confidence.

Originally posted by djhorse85:

Offensively they are better with out him, he really, really needs help in that area. Sometimes 4 or 5 blocks a game is not worth 30% from the freethrow line, no post moves, no court vision and inconsistent mid range jumpshot.
I disagree that 4 or 5 blocks/game is not worth the lack of offensive ability. It's not like the guy can't score. Like Maurice says, he moves well for a big guy and can get up and down the floor and finish. His free throw shooting is atrocious, but that can be improved. Think about it, the johnnies went from a team that blocked no shots to the nation's top shot blocking team in one year. He's a defensive game changer and can totally dominate the inside with his rare athletic ability. Without Gift and Orlando Sanchez this year, they have no inside presence without him. He needs to be in there.

@Mwingate, after watching last nights game against Depaul I see that I was wrong about his ability to pass the basketball out of tight situations in the post.

Lavin told me that Obekpa has a high basketball IQ. Much higher than he gets credit for.

yeah, obekpa would be player of the year ala anthony davis if he improves his offense. he just needs to hit the gym and learn to shoot the ball better and get some low post presence. he would be unstoppable and a lottery pick if he gained some offensive skills

I'm sure he will. Hopefully he stays another yeah so he would be a serious draft pic. Even if he hit free-throw that would be huge.

Originally posted by mwingate:
I'm sure he will. Hopefully he stays another yeah so he would be a serious draft pic. Even if he hit free-throw that would be huge.
if he stays another year?!? there's talk about him entering the draft?!?! come on! he's one dimensional right now, no way he gets drafted at this point. he's gotta stay at least another year or two and probably through his 4 years of eligibility to gain the rebounding and scoring needed to play in the NBA

ADVERTISEMENT