ADVERTISEMENT

Nurideen Lindsey to Transfer

mwingate

Sep 11, 2007
Sources confirmed to the News that Nurideen Lindsey would leave at the end of the semester.
This post was edited on 12/8 4:34 PM by mwingate

Read more:

Press Release

QUEENS, N.Y. - Red Storm head men's basketball coach Steve Lavin announced that sophomore guard Nurideen Lindsey (Philadelphia, Pa./Overbrook/Redlands C.C. (Okla.) plans to transfer to another NCAA Division I institution at the conclusion of the Fall 2011 semester.

"This was a mutually agreed-upon decision that Nuri's pursuit of other opportunities is in the best interest of all parties," said Lavin. "We appreciate Nuri's contributions to our program. He is a basketball player with a bright future. Our basketball family supports Nuri as he moves in a new direction."

"I came to St. Johns for a couple of reasons. One was to be close to my mom, whose health has been up and down due to some past experiences. The second was to play for Coach Lav. In both instances it has not worked out how I envisioned. I think Coach Lav is an amazing coach, and person. He could have taught me so much," said Lindsey. "I love St. John's and appreciate all the love and support from the staff and school. I think this team will be special. I think what I'll miss most about St. John's is miss my teammates. Those guys are like my brothers. So I will continue to support St. John's and my brothers. Thank you for the memories, regardless of how brief."

Lindsey was third on St. John's in scoring at 11.8 points per game and paced the squad in assists at 2.9 per contest. He averaged 1.6 steals per outing to go along with 4.9 rebounds and a 46.2 percent mark from the field across his first nine contests.

Lindsey reached double figures six times in the young 2011-12 season, with a season-high 19 points coming in his NCAA Division I collegiate debut on Nov. 7 vs. William & Mary at Carnesecca Arena. He recorded a near triple-double on Nov. 13 vs. UMBC in Queens with 15 points, 10 rebounds and nine assists.

WOW this a shocker and absolutely DEVASTATING! Maurice, do you have the inside scoop on why he's transferring? it doesn't make sense! he's the starting G on a very young team so he's going to get plenty of playing time. articles have mentioned maybe it was moving closer to his mom, but i'm not buying it. it was also mentioned that maybe it was not having coach lavin around? come on, the guy is recovering from cancer surgery!

this is very disturbing news. norm roberts also had a LARGE number of transfers during his time and that in a way to this very strange scenario of last year with a ton of seniors. teams cant be so stacked in one class for obvious reasons. now under lavin, polee transfers (maybe b/c he sees the writing on the wall with all the new recruits), then 3 academically ineligible and now lindsey transfers mid-season?!?! mid-season!??! that's unheard of! what's going on?

I agree.... I just hope the rest of the squad stays around, this is alot of misfortune for one program in a short amount of time....sometimes I think players take for granted playing for a program like st johns in the big east...smh its a blessing especially if you are part of a 7 man rotation ..where else can a player receive this much play time in a major conference...this is a city where if your talents are even remotely relevant, you can be glorified...it just silly to decommit,transfer or just not sign to this program...smh

Just saw the video of God's Gift and Phil Greene reacting and answering questions about Nurideen's decision to transfer. I still think something is going on behind the scenes and it's more than what meets the eye for him to just roll out on a program mid-year like that. VERY strange. The players also seemed a bit surprised and agitated as well knowing that the Johnnies were already super thin. Also the way he left without saying anything to his teammates has much to be desired. That probably rubbed them the wrong way too...

(shocked me that he did not tell his teammates either) Given his reason for transferring, I hope he does not end up anywhere outside the distance of his family, and his mom(philadelphia). Some where like New Mexico, Kansas, oklahoma will just bring further irony to the situation.

Its an amazing concept that some people may not see how much of a blessing it is to get 30 plus mins a game for the 7th winningest program in the ncaa in arguably the most competitive conference in the country.

(Off the record) We did not need lindsey going forward if he felt like he did not want to be here. He has talent, but so does the rest of our guys. The thing that seperates the rest of our guys from the faulty recruits, decommitters and the transferers is RESILIENCE. We all go through adversity and some situations may not be convenient but you fight through it, you make a commitment and you stick with it...thats the kind of guys i like to see wearing a St Johns uniform, regardless of where they are ranked nationally or how big their ego is.
This post was edited on 12/21 11:31 PM by djhorse85

DJ, +10000

case in point...amir. just read the article, that is what you're talking about. guys who want to be here and play here and are dedicated to what coach lavin is doing to bring st. john's back. you can be part of history; the class that brought st. john's back to the top!

ADVERTISEMENT