ADVERTISEMENT

new york misery

djhorse85

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2010
(This post is to vent)I am a huge fan of everything New York especially when it comes to basketball. This is such a depressing year for the Knicks but I thought the redstorm would be enough to quench this urge for success in the mecca. The loss at depaul was unfortunate, and I really saw pain in the eyes of the seniors and coaching staff at the end of the game; pure emotion. But my major isssue is that we lose soo many recruits in our own state why are players afraid to stay grounded and rep NYC. It will be the ultimate reward to put this city on their back, the last johnnies to do it is still remembered in the city til this day (Mark, Mullin etc). Imagine if Govan and Diallo decided to commit you add those two with obekpa, isiah whitehead, and Carrington than this is a formidable place to be. But instead one goes to Georgetown and the other probably Kentucky, and the rest to Seton Hall. I respect the aforementioned Universities but the reward seems to be minimal. Among the the top this year is diallo and Govan; Diallo is likely to mixed in with a bevy of other big men once Calipari is finished recruiting and govan will no doubt become another good Georgetown big man at best(Goergetown Cliche). But the first team or player to get the redstorm back to the elite eight or final four will be remembered for decades in this city. We still cheer for Felipe Lopez and we know how his NBA career went. Why not stay? Is it the coaching staff, the University, or the inability of new york to produce players who are nonconformist and love this city?

This post was edited on 1/18 5:55 PM by djhorse85

This post was edited on 1/22 12:01 AM by djhorse85

Well said! My opinion has always been Lavin and his staff. It doesn't seem like he gives the local kids the love/attention that he gives kids from out of state/west coast. Those are just a select few of local players that he has swung and missed on. It's the same old St. John's team that we've seen for years now, mediocre at best. Bring in a Danny Hurley or a Mark Jackson who are from the tri-state are and know how to adapt to the local high school stars. If Mark Jackson and Willard walk into a local kids House to recruit him, who do u think walks out with him? My guess is MJ. Lately with this coaching staff it's been the other way Around, embarrassing... If we don't make the tournament this year, I don't see how the university can keep Lavin.

I do not want to blame it on solely on the staff, because every last kid I mentioned was offered a scholarship by this staff. The problem I am seeing is that kids are "star gazing" at other prestigious programs in the country well before they even receive a scholarship from St. Johns. Take Briscoe for example; he is an exceptional talent who could probably excel anywhere in the country, but he chooses Kentucky probably because of the prestige and Calipari because of his resume with other great guards (John Wall, Brandon Knight, Rose, etc). One can argue that Calipari was the key to their success, so ultimately Kentucky is the safe choice. But his playing time in St. Johns would have been unlimited plus there is something to be said about building a legacy in the tri-state area. Subsequently what I am saying is, I do not see a lot of players that are willing to ovecome the urge to go to a juggernaut like Kentucky to build a legacy right here in New York.

This post was edited on 1/22 1:58 AM by djhorse85

This post was edited on 1/22 2:03 AM by djhorse85

You have to look at the whole package. Cal is only a piece of the puzzle. You have to look at location, surroundings, what else does the school offer. Places like Lexington or Louisville are beautiful areas of the country yes and the allure of one and done is too great for these kids who can make the money even if it is only a short time.

I don't necessarily think inner city kids leave the tri state area is bad. The pull of playing home and dealing with the alleged friends and sometimes the family issues are way to stressful for 18 year olds.

For all of you that are crying for Mark Jackson or Bobby Hurley or even Tim Cluess they are not the answer. Jackson left GS because he wore out his welcome, Hurley really??? Buffalo and Cluess is not exactly getting big time recruits at Iona which is a stones throw from the city. Mike Dunlap please LMU is buried at the bottom of their division (so much for X's and O's).
Is Tiny Morton on Issah's shirt tails or visa versa? Didn't Seton Hall lose to DePaul as well and at home!!!

Lavin will lead the team as he has done. They are not losing because of x's and O's. The games they have lost have been because of lay ups silly fouls and foul shooting all within the control of the players. If they beat Duke this week end then what is he all of a sudden a miracle worker.
There is a lot of BB left !! While I share a lot of the same frustration it's still fun to be a part of.

Go Johnnies!!! BEAT DUKE!!!

I concur with this years coaching it has been better than last year's thats for sure. But I am more concerned about the future of the redstorm and its relationship with new yorkers. It used to be the place to be and I do not have that vibe anymore. Ask yourself where is the incentive to stay? As far as coaching changes, I believe the aforementioned coaches should get a shot at it. You never know what will happen if those coaches are given a chance. I saw the way norm roberts was treated because he could not recruit inner city talent; whats the difference with Lavin? Aside from that Lavin has been to the tournament only once but with players norm recruited. They fired Norm Roberts before he had a chance to coach a tournament capable team that he put together. In the end I have no sympathy for this coaching staff especially when i think of all of the drama within this program over the years coupled with a lack of success on the court. I hope we beat Duke, but if we do not and the season continues in this fashion I think it is more than fair that we evaluate some possible changes in leadership.

This post was edited on 1/24 5:37 PM by djhorse85

ADVERTISEMENT