ADVERTISEMENT

Make that 0-5...

Do you really think the blame falls completely on Lavin? Ultimately, he's not the guy on the court. What needs to be different?

Lavin can't make fouls shots for them. Lavin can't finish around the basket for them. All he can do is create the right situation so they have an opportunity to win. He has done that!!!! I have never seen so many foul shots and chippy layups missed. When they finish they will win, that's what has to change......

They are still very immature on the court without exception. They have NCAA Tournament potential in a few players but they are no where near Tournament ready.

The players are definitely equal to blame. Statistically some of these players have not improved offensively. I was expecting to see some serious development from Pointer, Branch, Achiuwa, and Greene this year. But I cant help but feel as though I am watching a rerun of their last season playing for the storm. One can possibly make an argument for a defensive improvement in Pointer's game, but offensively it is like the kid has not improved at all. It is his Junior season now and his jump shot has not improved even the slightest, the same with Branch. We struggle to score in the half court, and it is almost painful to watch us play against the zone. With Hooper(major defensive liability BTW) and Harrison being our only shooters (both shooters are inconsistent) it is difficult to spread the floor and stretch any zone.... basically any teams knows that if they focus on getting back on defense, and play a disciplined zone against the Johnnies a win is always possible...SMH

This post was edited on 1/18 12:49 AM by djhorse85

I think some of the major players were too busy thinking about the NBA draft and not busy enough thinking about the task at hand. That's the downside of recruiting players based on the NBA success of Mo Harkless. Everyone coming into the program beleives they're one an done. Hopefully they're not just... DONE

the blame is not all on the coaching staff as of course the players have to shoulder some of the responsibility here, but YES, the majority is on coach Lavin and his staff. Like DJ mentions, there has been absolutely no improvement in ANY aspect of this team since they were freshman 3 years ago. In fact this team seems worse than the team that only had 6 players dress for the majority of the season a few years ago!

Ever since coach Dunlap left for the NBA, I have not seen the game management and skill development at all. Also, who calls the plays? Who sets the lineup? Who places the players in the game at critical junctures? yes, the coach! Why was Hooper again in the game in the final few seconds? He's a defensive liability and a one trick pony. If you don't need a 3, he shouldn't be in the game. That's just one example, but that's on the coaching staff.

It's getting hard to watch...

I agree with your comments. Coaching is not totally at fault however it's the primary reason for the poor season. Clearly the players are not palying the way they need to play. However, the coaches need to chnage that. Not sure if all the pposters here have ever played on BB teams. SJU is not well coached. Teams with less high profiled players play well as a team larger due to the coaching. they set picks, give and go, move without the ball, practice and make free throws. SJU plays well in transition but is horrible in a half court game.

I guess an argument can be made that the coach's primary job is to motivate players and get them to play up to their full potential and beyond if possible

ADVERTISEMENT