ADVERTISEMENT

J. Sampson

biglaboy

Jan 15, 2005
Wow, this guy is going to try and turn pro! Good luck because you are going to need it. This guy has no business going to the NBA. He's simply not ready. Who is feeding these guys information? It will be a sad day for the NBA if this guy makes in the league. Everything Charles Barkley said about the NBA being a terrible product to watch is so true. Guys like this who think they are ready are making the NBA unwatchable. Good luck JS; I can't see this one at all. He's simply not that good. He's the classic case of guy who should stay another year or in his case, two years.

I totally agree with you, no way is he ready for the nba. He's following the footsteps of guys who left way to early.. Cook, Barkley...

He wasn't like Moe Harkless who had an outstanding year even though St. John's didn't. This is a guy who had an OK year when St. John's fell below expectations. I'm hearing he hired an agent so there's no turning back.

Shocker but not unexpected

I really find this to be a joke. I think the NBA should have a staff of evaluators who can look at guys like this, and flat out inform them they are making a mistake. That they should stay in college and get better. I don't think JS makes a D league team. I will be utterly shocked if he makes into the NBA. If he does, the NBA, an already poor product, will sink further in the depths of "barely watchable."

I find your statement very harsh... nonetheless it is filled with nothing but the glaring truth....that he simply did not show scouts NBA quality this year. The draft this year will be very very deep smh...he must really need the money. ..but he is not guaranteed to get drafted, and that need for money will not dissipate...if someone drafts him it will be solely off potential...but his fresh to soph year shows minimal (if any) improvement.

This post was edited on 3/26 12:15 PM by djhorse85

My statements are no different from anyone else. In JS mind, he believes he is draft ready. For his sake, I hope he is right, but what a joke if he does not get drafted. I can't remember one game he had this year where his talent clearly stood out. He has shown intermittent flashes, but that is it. He really need another year or two to improve his game. I can't see him being drafted at all. I am usually right on with kids coming out early. At best, he's a low second round pick. He will be in the D league for sure, but he won't be starting.

From the standpoint of skill development and a strong draft class this year, we all know this was not the right time for Sampson. But, what's done is done; he is gone. All the best to him in the future. However, what is to become of the Johnnies in 2014-15? With Sampson entering his name for the Draft, as well as Orlando Sanchez and God'sgift Achiuwa graduating, the Red Storm are down to just one frontline player: Chris Obekpa. Lavin has a lot of work ahead of him to fill the big man roles... and he needs to do it quickly. You think he gets a few JUCO guys to get some rapid experience? Or, does he go the conventional way and hit the ground running to find some talented H.S. seniors?

At this point Delarosa is a must for lavs to land and hopefully a couple of juco guys. 2015's class has a couple top 100 big men that hopefully we can get to move forward. Next year might be ugly but besides nova I dont see any other dominant teams.

I'm not doubting lavin and his staff but the major upgrade we need is a good x's/o's assistant coach , like a Dunlap. I remember watching him sit at the end of the bench, paper/pen and draw up different offensive plays everytime we fell back into defense. I think that upgrade would help us a lot!

wow this is a SHOCKER to me. in no way should sampson be entering the draft. he's getting a lot of bad advice from agents and others around him. hopefully coach lavin tried to talk him out of it, otherwise i don't know what to think. in the end it's sampson's decision, good or bad. sure he should have stayed another year (at least) to continue to develop his skills and had he come back and the johnnies made a good run, it would have done wonders for his draft stock. as of now, he's prob a 2nd rounder at best and will sit on the bench and maybe develop that way. he'll make money, but not what the kind of money he could have had he stayed. i mean look at harkless...tons more talent, and he showed it in his one year at st. john's. however, what is he doing now? he barely plays on a VERY bad team. you would think that these guys would learn from that.

but like deborah says, we have to move on. what's done is done. yes, sanchez is gone, and so is god's gift, but obekpa is here and don't forget chris jones. he played some significant minutes last year before being redshirted this year. agreed that de la rosa becomes a MUST get, but he'll only be a freshman so will take some time to develop. this team just needs to understand how to play as a team and the chemistry needs to be there from the beginning. lavin really needs to learn how to develop these guys and coach!

ADVERTISEMENT