ADVERTISEMENT

Harrison Shot Selection

mwingate

Sep 11, 2007
What did you think of that 3-ball that D'Angelo Harrison chucked up with about 20+ secs left on the clock? Should his green light be dial back to yellow? Personally, I say not yet.

i thought the same thing. you're down 1, not 3, you dribble drive and draw contact or get a closer look. he still had 6 seconds left and i totally disagreed with the announcers saying that he always has a green light. i don't think it's ever ok to shoot from nba 3 when you don't need to. no matter how great you are, it's a much more difficult shot than driving to the bucket for a closer shot. then again, the missed free throws didn't help either

The blessing and curse with shooters is that they think every ball is going in whether its from half court or from the freethrow line

he's not scoring and taking over games like he use to earlier in the year. anything wrong with him or is he just in a slump?

I think it comes down to scouting reports. Teams figure it out. The emergence of Sampson should help share the burden.

I think this quote from John Thompson III in a recently written RedStormReport.com story on the last St. John's-Georgetown matchup sums up what's been causing Harrison's scoring slumps: "He's fun to watch as a fan, not as an opposing coach. We knew going into this game that we have to stop him. Everyone has to know where he is whenever he's on the court. Knowing that, I don't think we did as good a job as we could've, should've with some of the other guys, but I probably would not be wrong if I said that every team that plays them goes in saying we have to stop him."

Although JaKarr Sampson is developing very well into a dependable scorer, Harrison will always have an 'X' on his back. He gets a ton of physical contact from defenders, but is still tough enough for the most part to get shots down in spite of the physicality and non-calls. As opposed to Sampson, as a two-guard, Harrison gets guarded by the best on-ball defenders on every BIG EAST team. St. John's needs another proven offensive threat in the backcourt or at the wing that can draw the defense away from Harrison. Other topnotch, conference teams have more than one consistent '1,' '2,' or '3,' that can do this.

Still, Harrison does need to learn to choose his shots more wisely on each possession. Though he has come a long way in terms of the raw, youthful exuberance of yesteryear, he still needs to mature in his decision-making.

This post was edited on 2/6 2:08 AM by DHarris3

yeah but i don't see a difference b/t this year and last. sub out sampson for harkless and you have the same situation. harrison was the #1 scoring option last year as a freshman, not harkless. in fact on a team of only 6 guys (i still can't believe they only played with 6), harrison was the only REAL true scorer. Moe was fantastic, don't get me wrong, but he wasn't the catalyst..it was harrison.

so i don't buy it that teams are guarding him more this year than last with the amount of weapons the johnnies have now. guys like green, garrett, and pointer have all stepped up their game and add in all the newcomers and you spread the scoring out more. he's on a REAL slump recently and i'm not so sure it's his shot selection anymore

ADVERTISEMENT