ADVERTISEMENT

Big East-Centric Fantasy Basketball League

zman79

Oct 24, 2010
Hello. I am the commissioner for a 10-team head-to-head Big East-only fantasy college basketball league that is entering its fourth season of play. We've had a bit of owner turnover this offseason and are in the process of seeking out one replacement "athletic director" for our league.

This is a completely homegrown, low-frills league, with scoring updates issued by spreadsheet, but it is a league that is a lot of fun.

Our scoring system is fairly simple. Pts, rebounds and assists = 1 pt each. Blocks = 3 pts, steals = 2pts, and those defensive point totals are subtracted from your opponent's offensive totals. We field 12-man lineups for each game: 5 starters who receive 100% credit for their fantasy production, 4 players off the bench who receive 50% credit for their fantasy production, and 3 situational reserves who receive 25% credit for their fantasy production. It is a keeper league -- you draft players from their entry as freshmen until they graduate, transfer, or head off to the NBA.

We utilize the unique principle that our fantasy conference is "built in" to the real world of college basketball, effectively replacing the real-life Big East. Thus, we can schedule real D1 teams as our nonconference opponents, we have regular national polls in which our teams are ranked against the rest of D1, and we have a full-on postseason with an NCAA tournament, NIT, CBI, etc. that integrates real-life teams as well as qualifying teams from our Big East fantasy conference.

We play a head-to-head 31-game schedule, with 8 non-conference games, 14 conference games, a three-round conference tournament, and a six-round postseason (for teams successful enough to make it past the bubble).

We currently have one orphaned program that needs a new athletic director. The team was just hit hard by graduations, and the owner's Big East knowledge base has waned somewhat. He's departing on good terms, and hopeful that we can find someone to keep the program alive. To give you a sense of the rebuilding projects you might be undertaking, this is the team's roster:

Team (5/13 scholarships assigned, 8 spots open)
Returning: Isaiah Armwood, Dane Miller, Lamar Patterson, Julian Vaughn, Maalik Wayns

While this league has some complex features, it's not a whole lot of work on the part of owners. The yearly draft is key, you submit your lineups as needed over the course of the season, and you design a non-conference schedule. (In keeping with the spirit of college sports, we don't really allow trading). Our whole league, from updates to lineup submissions, is run over a private message board.

I've been managing fantasy leagues for nearly 20 years now, and I figured that the best way to bring in new blood to the league was to go beyond my circles of usual fantasy sports participants and seek out folks who follow Big East basketball the closest. I hope a few of you who are college basketball obsessives (and especially Big East obsessives) might be interested in something like this.

If this league sounds like a fun opportunity to you, please shoot me a private message/comment. Let me know where you're coming from -- how much you follow Big East basketball as a whole, which school you usually follow, the types of fantasy leagues you've played in in the past (and for how long). In particular, I am looking for someone that can commit to a league like this for many years to come. We are a community of friendly guys who have played in this league and other associated leagues for many years. We enjoy the statistical side of sports, and we like occasional trash talk but don't get overly boorish about it.

No entry fee here. We play for fun and glory rather than money.

ADVERTISEMENT