ADVERTISEMENT

Darrick Wood

T

traveler72000

Basketball addition

Walk on?

@brendanboyle24_: I will be playing my college basketball right here in Orlando, I'm committed to the University of Central Florida

Wondering what ever happened to Darrick Wood? Academics? Is he gone for good? Maurice any insight?

Re: Basketball addition

Graduated in 2014 from Montverde Academy. Coach's son. Not sure where or if he played this year.

This post was edited on 3/15 2:51 PM by dmheitz

ESPN had him committing to Middle Tennessee out of HS. Not sure what happened.

Found this article.

Brendan Boyle, who is presently deciding between multiple schools that inclde Central Florida, South Florida, South Carolina. Brendan, a MVA graduate from the class of 2014, was a co-captain on last season's undefeated (28-0) team, and was a key element in the Eagles winning the championship of the 2014 DICK'S Sporting Goods High-school National Tournament - an Eagles team that was ranked the #1 high-school basketball team in the United States. Upon graduation, Brendan had decided to enroll at Middle Tennessee State University, located in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, to play basketball for Men's Basketball Coach Kermit Davis and the "Blue Raiders" in the 2014-2015 college basketball season. After much thought and consideration, Brendan eventually decided to instead return to MVA as a post-graduate member of the MVA PREP team.

Link

I'm thinking it's likely a walk-on. I will try to catch up with him after the baseball game.

This can't hurt our chances with future Montverde players. Kind of like the Sean Callahan situation we had.

His dad was Kyrie Irving's coach at St Patrick in New Jersey before taking the job at Montverde four years ago. I know nothing about the son but Montverde is practically a college team.

Originally posted by Brandon:
I'm thinking it's likely a walk-on. I will try to catch up with him after the baseball game.
Boyle's a helluva coach. 3 time National HS COTY. Brendan has to have a high BB IQ.

Originally posted by Hoops McKnight*:
Originally posted by Brandon:
Boyle's a helluva coach. 3 time National HS COTY. Brendan has to have a high BB IQ.
Maybe he can coach instead of DJ*

With the 2014-15 Roster, minus Seniors Casey Wilson and Myles Davis and plus the four 2015 incoming Freshman, the 2015-16 Roster will total 16. Adding Boyle will bring the total roster to 17, two above the NCAA maximum allowed.

Are the two to go #24 Mumin and # 25 Holmes, two who never played in 2014-15 unless the game was a blowout one way or another ?

The NCAA maximum scholarship total is 13, so two of the remaining roster will have to either have academic scholarships or pay their own way, So which two will that be ?

Decisions, Decisions !

Just learned that Kirk and Kevin Boyle played at Iowa together. If I do the calendar math correctly, Kirk would have been a JR when Kevin was a FR.

Kirk is coming back to coach UCF with Donnie's re fruits!!???

That's great news!!

I wonder if Boyle will ever make the jump to college - could be an interesting guy to look at if so. I know it's very rare for a college to hire a HS coach for a head job, but it has been done. Recruiting would be nothing new to him as he openly recruits at Monverde. He pulls in way better talent there than ucf ever has, granted he isn't recruiting against anybody.

There was a recent article/interview on nj.com regarding kevin Boyle and rutgers. Boyle has had many opportunities to make the jump to college ball but says he's happy. Bob Hurley sr. is the king of high school hoops up here but Boyle had a heck of a run. Many would like him to coach at rutgers one day and try to keep jersey kids in state.

I'm sorry but I Can't link the article from phone.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2014/12/former_st_patrick_coach_kevin_boyle_weighs_in_on_how_to_fix_rutgers_mens_basketball.html
Posted from Rivals Mobile

They'll be taking the place for whatever current scholarship holder gets "cut" to make room for the new kids.

Great question. Didn't notice that he wasn't introduced during the scrimmage and he's not even on the official johnnies roster from the redstorm website. I asked about if anyone didn't qualify or if there was anyone who wouldn't make the roster this year and never heard back from Maurice or anyone else.

I had posted on the premium board awhile ago that Wood would probably be going JUCO. We're hearing he was considering one in FL. I wouldn't say he's gone for good but I would say gone for now. His grades have always been a prob.

Originally posted by mwingate:
I had posted on the premium board awhile ago that Wood would probably be going JUCO. We're hearing he was considering one in FL. I wouldn't say he's gone for good but I would say gone for now. His grades have always been a prob.
thanks again for the info maurice. you are always helpful with these sorts of questions. premium subscriptions lies with another rivals site, so can't get access to that here!

ADVERTISEMENT